One of the nicest things about being pregnant, aside from the excitement of welcoming your new bundle of joy anytime soon, is that it also has this tendency to make you look good. In fact, all the hormonal changes that come along with pregnancy tend to make your skin glow and your hair and nails look thicker and healthier.
Now, the question is, is it also safe to take vitamins for hair, skin, and nails while pregnant? Can it further improve the glow on your skin and the good health of your nails and hair? Find out through this article.
Hair, Skin, and Nails During Pregnancy
If you are pregnant, then one of the changes you may notice is on your skin. It will most likely look better because of the hormonal changes, increased blood flow, and mild fluid retention. This can lead to smoother skin, which is also the reason behind what many refer to as the pregnancy glow.
Also, as your body changes and your hormones start fluctuating, you will notice an increase in blood flow and estrogen nourishing your scalp. This can support the healthy growth of your hair during pregnancy as well as good sebum production.
As your hormone production increases during your pregnancy, your nails and hair will also grow thicker, stronger, and faster. Pairing it up with an increase in blood flow as well as a healthy diet and the intake of healthy vitamins, you will surely be able to notice the glow on your skin and a major improvement in the way your nails and hair look.
Hair, Skin, and Nail Supplement Defined
Based on what their name indicates, a hair, skin, and nail supplement refers to a product that works to improve the look and health of your hair, skin, and nail. Many of its ingredients are similar to prenatal vitamins, which is why taking this supplement when you are pregnant is safe for you. Note, though, that the two are still not totally the same.
If you are planning to take hair, skin, and nail supplement while you are pregnant, check its list of ingredients first to guarantee your safety. You should then compare its ingredients with the prenatal vitamin you are presently taking. That way, you won’t end up taking in excessive amounts of just one nutrient.
Generally, this supplement is safe for pregnant women but just to be sure, it is still crucial to inform your doctor about your decision to take it. The reason is that the ingredients list varies from one formulation and brand to another, so study its components first.
Fortunately, most of them are manufactured in a way that they can safely support healthy skin, nails, and hair and target those areas specifically, so making them a part of your daily routine when you are pregnant is a great idea.
Usual Components of Hair, Skin, and Nail Supplements
In general, hair, skin, and nail supplements are safe and healthy for pregnant women as they are rich in the following nutrients – all of which can also nourish a woman’s body during pregnancy.
• Vitamin A – Available in two main forms, beta-carotene and retinol, Vitamin A serves as a potent antioxidant capable of supporting healthy cells. It can also improve your skin as it can help prevent acne.
• Vitamin B complex – This vitamin also consists of folic acid and biotin. These water-soluble B vitamins are great to take in as they can improve your energy and keep your nerve and brain cells healthy. You specifically need more biotin as a deficiency in it may cause your skin to look scaly and develop a rash. The lack of intake of biotin can also lead to brittle nails and hair loss.
• Vitamin C – You also need hair, skin, and nail supplement when you are pregnant as they can supply your body with Vitamin C. You can expect this water-soluble vitamin to serve as the primary foundation of collagen. It assures you of healthy collagen synthesis as well as offers support to essential amino acid development. Being rich in antioxidants also means it can protect your body from free radicals.
• Zinc – With the amount of zinc present in the supplement, you can also improve the health of your skin and tissue, like your hair follicles as well as your scalp’s oil glands. Zinc is also good for your nails, especially for pregnant women as it can help you avoid nail dystrophy.
• Iron – The iron present in hair, skin, and nail supplements is also good for your overall health. It supports the proper and healthy function of your red blood cells. It prevents iron deficiency that may only result in fatigue, weakness, brittle nails, and hair loss.
• Vitamin D – The supplement may also supply pregnant women with the fat-soluble vitamin called Vitamin D. It aids your body by retaining calcium, phosphate, and Vitamin K. This can further protect your bones while preventing inflammation, which can also make your skin even healthier.
• Vitamin E – This vitamin also guarantees healthy cell turnover while fighting free radicals, which is why being present in the supplement makes it a whole lot better. You can even choose to supplement with this vitamin especially if you are dealing with some skin issues like psoriasis and eczema.
With the powerful ingredient list of hair, skin, and nail supplements, it is safe to say that it is indeed healthy for you if you are pregnant. It will not cause you any harm, especially if you notice that most of its ingredients are also what you can see in your prenatal vitamins.