A garage door is a pretty big purchase. Hence, it’s important to choose the right type for you. And the first step is to understand different sizes. Understanding different garage door sizes and styles will help you save money and find the perfect garage door for your home.
Different Garage Door Sizes
Classifying garage door sizes isn’t an exact science. Most classifications distinguish between two types — standard and commercial. Each has its own distinct features that make them suitable for different garages.
1. Standard Garage Door Sizes
The label of ‘standard garage door’ is very murky since it depends on the layout of your garage. Usually, they’re divided into:
• Single Door, or One-Car Garage Door — typically 7‒8 feet tall and 8‒9 feet wide, this door is ideal for garages that store one vehicle.
• Double Door, or Two-Car Garage Door — around 7‒8 feet tall and 15‒17 feet wide, it’s the most common garage door type for family homes. It can usually house two cars.
• RV Door, or Three-Car Garage Door — specialized doors for parking large vehicles like RVs, these doors are 10, 12, or 14 feet in width and length
2. Commercial Garage Door Sizes
More common for storage facilities and businesses, commercial garage doors are usually much larger. They’re divided into:
• Overhead Doors — Usually 32 feet wide and 24 feet high, they’re ideal for businesses that want space, weather resistance, and high security from their doors.
• Roll-Up Commercial Doors — An industrial garage door, roll-up commercial garage doors are typically 30 feet wide and 28 feet high. They’re easy to open and lock, durable, and perfect for commercial businesses that need storage space.
How to Choose the Right Garage Door Size for You?
When buying garage doors, it’s important to remember a few key details:
1. What Will You Use the Door For?
If you’re selecting a garage door for your family home, then going with a standard garage door is perfect. However, if you’re a business owner who needs storage space and extra security, then commercial garage doors are the way to go.
2. Be Precise in Your Measurements
Before making any purchases, it’s very important to precisely measure everything. This will help you find a door that perfectly fits your garage. Moreover, it will save you money. If you measure correctly, you won’t have to pay for extra alterations in case the door doesn’t fit your garage.
3. Pick Good Materials
Apart from different sizes, garage doors also come in a wide range of materials. Picking a quality, durable material is the surest way to guarantee your garage door lasts.
Some of the best materials include steel, aluminum, wood, fiberglass, and glass. However, keep in mind that more quality materials are pricier. Therefore if you go with a custom garage door, be prepared to splurge.
When choosing a garage door for your home, it’s important to know the different garage door sizes. Each garage door type has its own strengths and weaknesses and unique purpose.
There are plenty of garage types, making, and sizes to choose from. In fact, garage door lock can also vary as today there are options for smart door activation that allows homeowners to open and shut the doors via a tap on their phones.
Thus, knowing where you’ll fit the door, will help you to pick the right fit for you.